Monday 3 March 2014

Shine Lupita!

Here I go again, same awkward state of ‘Yapatism’; I think I need therapy...I didn’t watch this Oscar just like the ones before, because like seriously I used to be ‘prejudiced’ about the whole thing being some fair-haired, light-colored, pale and ‘ex-black people’ thingy, and I am not racist

This morning I woke up seeing a very 'Be-You-Tiful' young empress on almost every TV channel and social media, and out of interest, I ‘Googled’ her name and came upon a video of a tearful acceptance speech she made last night at the Oscar.

As awkwardly typical of me, I kept gawking at the roof trying to contain my emotions, but I guess this time my tear-filled eyes were that of joy to see someone like me dare to dream, and particularly to accomplish something BIG, it felt like a part of my set of concerns is being addressed.

I didn’t know this Lupita lady before this morning; I don’t know if she is really of humble birth and origin as implied by what I read about her so far…

Do I care if her ‘humble-Kenyan-roots’ is just a face? Me, I just want to see as many more Lupita Nyong'o(s) as possible, and not just as best supporting actresses, but as luminaries in all spheres of universal accomplishment… "No matter where you're from your dreams are valid" – Congratulations Young Lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...