Monday 3 March 2014

Proverbs!

My favourite Wolof proverbs of the day, I thought I should share, but excuse my rough translations, ‘Angalais Yombut’

1. “Ku bindou ni tama, nyu tegga la ni tama”…
[If you’re fashioned like a talking drum, you will be played like a talking drum; no wahala about that]

2. “Ku marr taxa naan potit, bu “robinay” oubay nga ruus.”
[If thirst induces you into drinking soap suds, when the tap/NAWEC reopens you will be sorry]

3. “Ku jangul du tari.”
[One cannot recite that which you’re never taught, or better still if you're uneducated, you're not expected to read]

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...