Tuesday 4 March 2014

Maa Nyoor!

In Mandinka, when people marry a second, third or fourth wife, it is said that they've married a ‘MAA-NYOOR’; now on my Facebook status update, a brotha and I looked at some native words, trying to empty out the implicit; like ‘NAFULOR’ [Wealth] was unfolded as something that comes twice..

….and then the ‘MAA-NYOOR’ thing emerged as literally meaning: a ‘Lovemaking-Partner’; given that ‘MAA’ implies LOVEMAKING and ‘NYOOR’ means MATE or PARTNER.

Now going by this explication, it seems to me that conventionally, it must have been assumed that the lead motivator (if there is in fact any other) for marrying additional wives was attributed to LUST…It could be a wrong assumption, but I do not disagree...

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...