Tuesday 4 March 2014

Why Black!

I still wonder why ‘I keep wondering why’ everything that is mysterious, awful, unpleasant or evil is labeled black; from black animals being termed as symbols of bad luck; anyone regarded as a disgrace to a family is tagged the black-sheep; illusions involving the supposed invocation of evil spirits for evil purposes are termed black magic; some of us wear black to funerals to show mourning…
I have even seen cruel and wicked people being said to be black-hearted; you’re black-and-blue when you’re emotionally hurt; it is a black-day when something very unpleasant or sad happens; you’ll be black-booked or black-marked when you've done something bad that someone wants to remember in future and so on

Heard expressions like blackmail, blacklist, black-rain, Black-market, blackout, black-hole, black-eye, and even in movies, angels will be costumed in white and wicked witches will be dressed in black et cetera, et cetera…

Perhaps some of them are senseless superstitions, but shit sometimes rubs me the wrong way and I don’t want to make it a race thing or an attack on the dignity of blacks, because in my opinion, it will be racist to think that this is racist..... so I need closure like yesterday; no distorted tales though ….?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...