Saturday 26 December 2015

Unsung talents...

On the street of La Rambla in central Barcelona, I saw beggars, a lot of beggars, but they don't just sit and beg, they do or offer something to turn their begging into a legitimate profession. They use their God-given talents to make some cash from tourists and local pedestrians. On display were human statues, acrobats, clowns, trained animals, and a lot of other novelty acts.

Creative enterprise if you ask me, and that's what's up, because you don't expect to get things for free in this human Kingdom that anybody can do anything to anyone. Trust me, even if something appears to be free, you'll have to pay in some way. I guess that's something our own folks are yet to know. Or maybe folks prefer to sit by ATMs, supermarkets and mosques, eliciting pity and receiving coins in return, because we probably wouldn't give a rat's arse to their talents if they had done likewise; we are pity patrons.

The other day I saw a video of a guy juggling his hat with his legs, hands and head, in a manner more artful than what Ronaldinho does with a football. I don't know what nationality he is, but I could tell he is definitely an African in Africa. Do you know what he got in return? A few applauds and an exhausted self. Meanwhile, videos of him are going viral on here, but he's afforded nothing to show for his fame, because being poor like him gives him no such rights to determine who may show his performance and on what conditions. Sad thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...