Friday 14 August 2015

Sutura....

Maybe if we're a little more considerate in the way we deal with each other; maybe if we learn to accept the humanness of our sometimes foolish and embarrassing mistakes, rather than making every mistake but ours a target of judgement and outrage, maybe God will accept that seemingly insincere "yalna sutura yaaga" cliché.

If you ask me, it doesn't make any sense praying for "sutura bu yaaga" when we do not intend to keep other people's secrets a secret; when in fact other people's uncovered secrets afford us pleasure or become sources of diversion and amusement. I think what we should be praying for is freedom from hypocrisy, camouflage and false pretense. Me, I'll rather not say "Yalna" or "Amen" than fake it.

That said, 'yalna sutura yaaga' and I said that with a genuine emotion and feeling. And for the benefit of my non Wolof speaking friends, "yalna sutura yaaga" means: may our deeds that we intend to keep hidden continue to be kept hidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...