Thursday 13 August 2015

Here's what it takes to be a man...

Auntie Maya Angelou​ of blessed memory said: “I did then what I knew how to do. Now that I know better, I do better.” Someone said she was hinting at intelligence, but I believe she was referring to growth; or maybe growth goes in conjunction with intelligence.

One day, every boy will become an adult, that’s a fact, but no adult will become a man unless he’s willing to move away from his ex-phase; unless he realises that he doesn’t have to stick to every notion or institution that was shoved down his throat; unless he mans up to tell the world:

”look world, I don’t want to be a replica of Professor X or a representation of Don Y. I want to look at myself in the mirror someday and say “YES! I did it my way”, so you better get used to my ways”, and it’s not insane or something, the world listens to those who dare.  

But if we are going to wait for a formal day to be adopted by the United Nations (UN) for this purpose, then forget it. That body has bitten more than it can chew. Let us resolve to set our own day and I’ll suggest we call it the ‘International Day of Page Turning’; to put troubles of our former ways to rest and turn the page to new ways and Ideas, and to more contented chapters of our lives. “U nah mean?” LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...