Monday 28 September 2015

Rest in peace mom!

This day, September 28 of 2007, Dr. Tamou gave me a sheet of paper and said: "here Omar, the Death Certificate. I'm so sorry!” I thought it was a mistake, because my mom that was on the road to recovery cannot pass on. Moments later, I saw them move her to the mortuary, but I was still confident that it was deep unconsciousness, and the mortuary’s cool room will cause her to emerge from that sleep. But that was before mourning came the following morning to give the lie to my hopes.

It was the day I said the most painful goodbye of my life, to that one person that I knew I could always depend on. It was exactly a week before my birthday, marking the start of me leaning on myself and doing things on my own, and whishing heaven wasn’t so far away, so I could have her home. It was the day I came to realise the painful truth that even mothers will pass away, and I cannot but accept that reality, but I vowed that no soul alive will take that special place that she had in my heart.

It was the day I came to the overstanding that the real meaning of living is not to live forever, but to use a finite life to create infinite memories, like this one that I am sharing today; an undying path of humanity and humility, that was what my mom represented. So today I am not trying to throw any pity party on here, this is a tribute of love and gratitude for the lessons she taught my siblings and I. Continue to rest in peace mom, we love you so very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...