Thursday 24 September 2015

Nobody's a nobody...

According to intelligent civilisation, everybody's somebody and nobody's a nobody. So I find it bafflingly stupid that some people can place other people in quarantine and treat them like they're nobodies.

Sadly, some of these people willingly play along, thinking they're being humble. But I guess that's because they suck at differentiating between humility and servility. So slavishly giving up possession of their birthright became a normal thing.

Going to the shop this morning, I trailed two women talking about their Eid preparedness and all. One said to the other: "Ah! Nyun mom ndarreh lanj." I was like, Dayum! See how she's relegated herself to someone that is lacking in quality and respectability. But perhaps she doesn't know the meaning of this "Ndarreh" word that some of us use so casually.

Or maybe the following Wolof proverb says it all: "Bu sol manto (palto) don maye daraja, kon gayleum du tedda si biti." Meaning: If wearing a coat is all what it takes to earn dignity, then no camel will sleep outside. I guess what one allows is what will hold.

So if you ask me, it is a day of feasting; wear your best clothes, eat good, go out there, interact and rejoice like everyone else, because you're somebody; you belong and you definitely matter. Eid Mubarak still!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...