Tuesday 23 December 2014

Social Media Wahala!

Apparently social media has become a stage where everyone is a player. We all gain right of entry the minute we sign up for an account or a profile, and no one exits until that account is deactivated. Some will play their life as it is lived in reality and others will play multiple roles, but mostly being who or what they’re not.

The likes of Omar Touray will play the guru that cannot pull his own shit, and some will take part in subliminal hatred. Some will be relationship wreckers and others pretending to be holier than everyone. Some will play meek whilst others playing the flamboyant destitute, as in those whose lives are not as awesome as represented on here. Some will seek significance by being sycophants to certain leading actors.

Some supposed friends and BFFs will develop into traitors, backstabbers and arch-rivals. Their every word or action is directed at bringing another friend down. I see intimidating goodwill, idealistic activism and very bizarre admirations. I see folks faking allegiance and devotion to anything communal, but will never put their money where their mouth is.

I see con artists, and passive aggressive critics who do not have the nerve to be openly aggressive. I see bandwagon jumpers mindlessly going with the flow. I see conspiracy theorists and agenda analysts discrediting virtually every worthwhile thing. I see pseudo-yuppies, intellectual-masturbators and bogus political analysts, an those who pretend to have interest in intellectual matters only; outwardly acting as if they see further than the ordinary man.

I see genuine celebrities, impending celebrities, celebrity-wannabes, celebrity-haters and celebrities hating on other celebrities. I see bullies playing victims of onslaught. I see genuine people fighting for the rights of those who allow others to walk all over them as if they were doormats, whilst others are busy speaking ill of them. I see folks pretending to hate what they secretly love and vice versa.

I see fake ass drama kings and queens captioning their photo collages with borrowed quotes, and with no quote marks; like taking credit for someone’s effort, to portray sweetness whilst being a complete idiot.

In spite of this unfinished list, one role we all have in common is ‘PLAYING NORMAL’, but I guess that’s because of the difficulty in seeing what’s in front of one's nose. We can poke our nose into other people’s businesses, trying to find out what theirs is really like, whilst being exceedingly secretive about our own, particularly the flaws and failures.... I think all things considered, SAVING FACE is what we're all doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...