Wednesday 17 December 2014

...and this is not like a crush!

I think I know that feeling that Dr. Yousou N'Dour was trying to touch upon in “Souvenir" [from his FattelikuI album]; and it is not like a crush or something, I believe it is because first impressions are usually the most lasting.

Like Dr. N’dour, I only met this mystery lady on social media and once at some forum, speaking her unfettered mind with assurance and in English like Ya-Eli the Queen of England; she’s got no visible indication of insecurity about her ability, and knowing my ‘people’, I mean that union of individuals who will not know book, but still have the boldness to discredit every form of brilliance, I appreciate her ability to discount envy, malice and petty criticism. Her gift of self-expression is right up there; something that a good number of us are empty of

I am not being cruel to myself, I’m serious; I know I can translate my thoughts into words and all, but such an unconstrained writing and speaking spirit at her age was something I woefully failed, no matter how hard I tried, it just couldn’t work, perhaps the knack was inherently not there

WORD IS, let us give confidence to our young folks, let them feel worthy of attention, let them be given their right to be heard, let them voice their objections and concerns without hesitation, even if in the end we’re going to get the last word; it will take us far.

I am of the opinion that the enemy of progress these days is not lack of talent, but the failure to make talents obvious, either by way of motivated reluctance, needless suppression or fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...