Friday 2 February 2018

Opinion...

Last evening, I saw videos of some UTG students in front of the Police Headquarters welcoming the release of Dr. Ceesay, also demanding immediate apology for his arrest, detention, or whatever it was. To be honest, ndeysaan, it was touching. Just that the decorum at it, like: "amut nix, laygi lanj sohla apology bi" - wasn't so evincive of that level of academia to me.

I mean the bravado was kinda juvenile. It reminds of those kid in "Lean On Me." Remember that fact-based film where Morgan Freeman played the ex-teacher (Joe Clark), took over as principal of a performance declining East Side High, but his method of getting East High to its glory didn't appeal to some of the school Board members. So he was set up and detained, and the kids had to demonstrate for his release?

Well, I guess that's what watching too much civil rights inspired movies does. You're so young, so full of verve you want to be like Malcolm or Rosa Parks, and even where your reality isn't Montgomery 1955, you simulate the same instances of injustice to resist, usually causing storm in a teacup. I'm so glad that this one's now over, and mine is just an opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...