Wednesday 14 February 2018

Go twist this opinion all you want:

Apparently, the (alleged) break up between President Barrow and his actual party was just one big-ass glorified expectation. Now that there are signs to the contrary, that expectation is fading. I know the feeling. It can be discomfiting. But ‘eff it!
I haven’t seen a divided Gambia yet. It’s just being caused to appear so, and we all know the apparent -ism surrounding it all. Yeah, we do! We just don’t want to say it lest we offend our friends. However, if our friends don’t mind rubbing it in our faces, tolerating their intolerance becomes foolishness.

If Barrow chooses to communicate in Lingala and his audience is OK with it, what’s anyone’s Wahala with that? Would the reactions be the same if he’d spoken in a tongue different from Mandinka, eh? Why must Mandinkas become collateral victims of UDP or Darboe’s victimhood?

I was a member of my community’s Mosque Committee and I used to play ball for the Evangelical Mission same time. I still go by Mike as well as Omar. I am as smooth in Wolof and Mandinka as I’m in English. The one I believe is my current girlfriend is Fula and my ex- a Serer, so I hate divisions (schisms) caused by prejudices (-isms).
Swear down, if we want a Gambia that we all claim to be wishing for, we need to dead the bigotry, every ache for tribal dominion dead, all negative-vibe-peddlers shamed, and all who manufacture faults to find quarantined.
What’s even more mysterious is when borderline-smart people who couldn’t pass the Common Entrance come on here pretending to have everything figured out, and so they must force their way on the rest of humankind. Granted, anyone is free to see whatever one wants to see. Some of us are so confirmation bias like that. But to impose your truth on others as the fact is total BS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...