Sunday 11 February 2018

Is it selective tolerance?

An Ahmadiyya TV isn't a threat to our version of Islam. I think it's an ideological propaganda, a challenge if you like, and the solution is simple: create another TV and counter-proselytise if proselytism is the fear. But... how can we create a TV of our own if we're so unfocused; it takes an average Gambian (Muslim) community 20 years of alms-seeking to construct a community mosque?

This is why I like the brothers at the Markass. When they realised that we were losing it. They didn't come to attack the missionaries. They created a centre that'd be conducive to the spread of what they believe to be the True Message. And by Allah, today, many a renegade is reformed thanks to the centre's sharing of knowledge and constant reminders.

So, to me, the threats to national unity and coexistence are those who hide behind the support structure in the government to impose their will. It's the politics of religion. And so the 'Ahmadi-phobia' isn't even a phobia, but an attitude of fixed dislike, enmeshed with hypocrisy, that’s it: groundless prejudice and oppression.

The Islam that I know doesn’t coerce; compulsion is forbidden. "Every man has the right to decide his own destiny." And about religious destiny, the Qur'an says: "Invite to the Way of thy Lord with wisdom and beautiful preaching; and argue with them in ways that are best and most gracious...." we need to be symbolic of the blessing that we think we are. Attract by arousing interest towards ours, knowing that "honey catches more flies than vinegar,” and that which we cannot get with tact and courtesy, we will not get by any other means.

Well, every man has his own philosophy; mine is: I just wanna be a Muslim, and I was a Muslim from I was zero, taught to treat all people fairly, not for what they're said to be, or who I think they're, but for what I see and can prove of them - evidence over prejudice. I am not going to be here fighting to protect my version of Islam - that's not my job.

It's God's to protect the truth and He will. Mine is a personal spiritual struggle against evil, temptation, and for self-improvement. My job is to be a better me, one who'll serve as an example worthy of emulation. Mine is to give tidings, to "invite" (that's the word) and to pray for personal salvation as well as collective guidance.

Wa akhiru da'awana anil hamdulillahi rabbil aalameen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...