Tuesday 27 February 2018

Nanditeh sonut...

‘Ehwoo’ (awareness) is blissful, because it’s a state of mind, not necessarily the state you mind. All the tossing and turning at night, being overly troubled by what people think, spending recklessly to keep up appearance, pretending to know it all that you are too rigid to adapt yourself to your social environment are all signs of ‘ehwadi’ (the opposite of Ehwoo).

That’s why while I was obsessing with ceremonial prestige and my (perceived) intellectual superiority, my boy Skinny will go to the Tijania Fashions, buys stuff for five and resells them to me at ten, and he will be like: “Star, I saw these diplomatic stuff and I knew you’d love them.” Then he’d wrap the deal with: “Intellectual nga, belahi.”

Now he has his own shop and drives a BMW, and I, a piece of shit; a Vectra 1995, 'howma' 2002 probably 1988 Model. And no, I’m not blaming Skinny for any wrongdoing. As a matter of fact, I admire his ingenuity. He turned me into a permanent consumer, and himself, an entrepreneur… ‘defa ehwoo.’

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...