Thursday 1 February 2018

Hmm, interesting times - this “New Gambia!”

We have become so political that we sometimes don’t seem to realise that politics is all perception, and perceptions are derived from what the mind’s willing to comprehend, not necessarily conclusive. That's why everybody’s is different. But from when we are objective, tread carefully on our democracy, be less personal about issues, even if we cannot see eye to eye, we may end up having new eyes for discovery.

To start with, I feel for Dr. Ismaila Ceesay, and I don’t even have reliable answers as to what he did, the extent of violation of his rights if any, how brief and cursory was his time at the police to qualify a detention –was it an arrest as in the technical sense of the word, or just a detention ripened into a de facto arrest, I don’t know. I just naturally don’t like the control of people's freedom, especially by means of the police, but that’s just me being sentimental.

That sentiment aside, I’m aware of the fact that Freedom of Speech is one of the bases of a good democracy. However (and I’m not saying this to quench anyone’s thirst), for the good of all, and like all freedoms, there are boundaries and responsibilities that go with Freedom of speech.

What I mean is, just like your driver’s license can only permit you to drive, not to absolve you from reckless driving, Freedom of Speech cannot be used to disrespect others, to justify sedition, negative vibe peddling, presstitution, etc. because even if officially permitted, it’s so defeating the common purpose of creating a better people.

Don’t twist this. I didn’t say Dr. Ceesay is in the wrong nor am I saying he did all that. In fact, like I said, I don’t even know the details. And it’s not like I’m trying to give the government coercive powers to edit our rights. I just want to throw caution and I hope not to the wind, that Freedom of Speech cannot continue to be predicated on the (implied) notion that it's OK to work against each other than work together, or to trigger rather than extinguish chaos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...