Sunday 1 May 2016

When you want to change a man...

Granted, everything is changeable in a man except his heartbeat, but at some point, you must learn to stop trying to change people just like that. Best thing is to change your reaction or response towards them, knowing that it is easier to change the way you deal with a man than to change a man.

For instance, if someone talks trash to you because he takes pleasure in annoying you, avoid him. If he is not your intellectual equal, or not as civic-minded as you're, avoid certain topics with him. But if you must talk to him, learn to change the subject when the conversation is getting uncomfortable - and with tact, he may come around and see things your way.

For my part and for the most part, the general makeup of the company I keep informs my mood, and so far, I think I have done a fairly good job in maintaining my street as well as intellectual credibility, and I will tell you how:

When I am in the hood and girls are what we are talking about, I talk female anatomy. If football is what it is, I try to change the subject to music or basketball being my areas of interest, but if I can't, I listen or put my earpiece on. If I am in the midst of the brothers from the Markass, we talk Sunnah. Don't judge yet, I am not a flip-flopper, I only adapt. And of course the ability to rapidly adapt to varying conditions is a very common human attribute.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...