Sunday 8 May 2016

Rocords..

So I was on the basketball court the other day and perhaps because of my fairly long physique, this kid asked if I play ball. I was like, yeah sun, 'Slam Dunk Champ' a few times. He was like, really! you got any tapes? I said nah kid! And he didn't say it but by the lack of fire on his face, he was deep down saying: "kotto bi mo muna dool." (This bruh's lying). But thank God we played a couple of half court matches and I showed him what I got, and why they call me Mike.

On a serious note, this is not uncommon to many of our old school athletes. They cannot be lauded or appreciated by the new school because there is no evidence, no footage, or story of the amazing things they used to do - and if you ask me, the reason why legends are nostalgically remembered in other parts of the world is not because they were the greatest to ever live, but because their stories are told to outlive their careers. Maybe we should also start something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...