Saturday 31 October 2015

Heal yourself

Momma used to tell me: maybe before you go about healing others, you should check if you're in good health yourself. She'll say: pretending to be the healthiest of a sickly bunch doesn't necessarily make you healthy.

So I do this all the time, even after she left for paradise. I try to listen to my conscience before doing anything, and even before writing the things I write on here, because I hate not only to be carried away, but to be rebuked to shame.

But that's a thing of 'Jom' - that's a Wolof word, similar in meaning to self-esteem or self-honour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...