Wednesday 15 April 2015

My Continent's Pseudo Intellectuals

Very discouraging it is when not-so-educated Africans are trying to find uncomplicated solutions to Africa's environmental, economic, health and social issues, and you see the continent's intellectuals on some journal or talk show spitting high-sounding vocabulary all over the place and with vague sense; complicating very simple things.

I don't know, perhaps for the purpose of impressing lay people, they’ll bring avoidable acronyms into play, say for instance: "For Africa to get to where we want it to be, we must create functional EPSs, CPFFs, AARCHs, EGARCHs, ZPGs..." and until your head hurts, but what’s stopping them from creating these institutions? Must they fall from heaven? Are the acronyms and big grammar going to fight diseases, end conflicts, rehabilitate frustrated junkies and put food on the poor man's table?

Some of them remind me of my boy from primary school – that one, when we are quizzing one another and everyone runs out of questions, he’ll start throwing acronyms and he'll be like: “What is SKKBJ ‘Soma Koteng Kanay Bu Jeh.’ What does VIMTO stand for ‘Very Important Man To Obey.’ What is the meaning of ITALY ‘I Trust And Love You,’ or what is the meaning of GAMBIA ‘Girls Are Making Baskets In America’” - and we used to clap for him you know.

This is why I respect technicians and odd-jobbers; the spanner, screwdriver and sledge hammer people. I think they talk less and do more, masterful at doing and are more result oriented.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...