Saturday 28 February 2015

Communication

There’s a fine line between being a good communicator and being a complete jerk at it…If you ask me, that thin line is not in your way with words, but in your tone of voice or manner of speaking if you like.

Let me give an example; like someone calls you to come and have lunch: “kai Anj!” and you respond by saying “Surr na!” or alternatively “SURR NA!” (I typed with capitals to imply a yelling tone), it is the same ‘Surr na’ (I’m full), but whilst the former tend to generate greater overstanding, the latter is harsh, aggressive and somewhat rude.

See, even if a situation freaks you out, speaking with calm and composure can help you to take control. You don’t have to be loud in order to be heard or to hide your insecurity, and yelling doesn’t make you fearless either. In fact, you talk like that to me I’ll switch you off, because you ain’t paying me to listen to you.

I tell folks that when I grow up, I want to be as eloquent and reasoned as Papa Jobe. He is husband to my mom’s friend. When this man is talking, you cannot but listen, and is not like he’s feared or because he’s part Senegalese and naturally eloquent, but because he’s collected and can conquer his emotions when talking.

So when you’re talking to people, try and do it the Papa Jobe style and see the approving outcome, it will take you places

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...