Tuesday 24 February 2015

Clichéd nonsense...

In case you’re used to getting upset when folks say you’re acting White, like “denga def sa bopa toubab,” I am saying rejoice in the compliment, because that’s what it is - an indication of your refined taste and manners, and that you’ve evidently outgrown the ‘taransor-tanka’ state of mind.

In fact, I have observed that people that are branded “toubabay” are usually fully awake, time-conscious, open-minded, not nosy, not comfortable with bare minimum achievements, they can't stand self-deceiving optimism, they hate to be lied to, they keep to their words, they hate unreliable promises and are not economical with common courtesies like “thank you”, “please”, “I’m sorry”, “excuse me”, and so on.

They can make a distinction between hilarity and stupidity, and between time for business and time for pleasure. They dislike it when certain people blow both hot and cold on ideas, like one minute they’re either for the idea or undecided, and the next minute they’re totally against it, which erratic perspective is mostly influenced by the opinion of the people they put on a pedestal.

To strengthen my point, I am sure y’all have also observed that whenever one is found deficient in any of the above , what folks usually say is: “yowe dor Toubab”, like you’re not White. Now I am thinking, is it a question of self denigration, or is ‘Toubab’ the standard by which refinement or sophistication is measured, or is it just clichéd nonsense, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...