Tuesday 20 September 2016

Just an observation...

Ask the average employee about his constraints at work and he will say "capacity building," and by that he's talking about attending another graduate or professional school to earn multiple degrees, even if unrelated to his career path, so long as he can be afforded the prestige that comes with saying "I have it," and be given a platform to do no different from what he had been doing before his extra degree, like attending meetings just to agree to disagree on replacing the word "key" with "core."

Gone is that ancient Rome era where common sense used to be a monopoly, where no matter how spontaneous and sensible the common man was, he would prefer to be seen and not heard lest he be asked with what authority does he speak. To intelligent civilisation, capacity development responses are relative, to include anything you do to strengthen your knowledge, enhance your skills, and experience, primarily to achieve your development objectives over time. You don't have to be Dr. Sainbhy to do that; sometimes all you need is the will and an unfettered mind.

I understand that Dr. has a total of 35 degrees to his credit, holding 15 masters degrees, five post-graduate diplomas, a bachelor of law, and numerous other bachelor’s degrees and certificates. First time I saw this I was like, he better be the most productive too, but I figured his is a hobby to keep collecting degrees for as long as he’s able to attend classes, not necessarily what he needs to promote the growth of those around him.

For the record, I am not opposed to education. I am a student of knowledge myself and I love it. But in my opinion, you don't have to be caused to memorise "twinkle twinkle little star," or know how "polly put the kettle on," or be certificated in it to be educated. Education is just access to information, and school is one dedicated source that provides such access, not the only source to knowledge and information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...