Thursday 29 September 2016

Committing responsibility to others is not cool...

Helping out, showing empathy for others, recognising feelings, or being promotive of any good cause is a noble thing. I mean even as seemingly futile as posting a very miserable picture on here and asking people not to scroll without sharing or typing ‘Amen’ - from when it's genuine and done for the greater good, I respect that. However, if your track record as far as caring is concerned is as good as zero-over-hundred, don't commit responsibility to others.

Once a friend came to me for some cash that I had, but because my internal state of being was out of network at the time, an unusually stingy part of me said to him: "I am broke star! But check on our friend [name withheld]; I don't know where he hit the jackpot but he's moneyed these days." Apparently, that friend was his first point of call; he was just redirected to me same way.

So rather than doing what we could, we were conveniently passing the baton of responsibility to one another, either attempting to shift blame, or just concealing our want of doing what we could've done. So if you can, do it. If what's asked for is too much to shoulder, just chip in, because more than occasionally, when someone tells you to help him with something to fix something, he's told another, and another, and another; by the time you know it, he's amassed a fortune at your collective expense.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...