Friday 2 September 2016

Does stupid exist?

Albert Einstein is credited with saying that "everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

I remember when I used to come home disgusted by what I believe to be inexcusable ignorance or stupidity, mom will admonish me to stop judging everyone by my own standards. She said I will forever be defeated of my expectations if I should keep expecting everyone to think, see, or feel the way I do, because people are different, with different backgrounds, beliefs, and upbringing. To her, everyone's intelligent in a different way.

So, you're not stupid just because you're not sufficiently informed, skilled or knowledgeable at one thing. But in case you're being accused of it, don't massage your ego yet; in as much as I want to agree that no one is stupid, I think there are some of us who do not know what to do with our intelligence, and that misfortune is not unlike stupidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...