Monday 29 February 2016

How au fait we tend to be when the ultimate responsibility isn't ours…

I had this boss who whenever I went bonkers at things I felt weren’t right, or get cheeky for no apparent reason, he will say to me: "Look! Omar, one day, you'll lead a team of your own, and this youngish I-don't-care attitude of yours will come back to bite you."

I was so naive to understand, but now I think I know what he meant. It is very easy to find faults, and to think how differently things would've been if it were you. It is so easy to assume that you have all the answers when the ultimate responsibility isn't yours, but whether it is really that simple is something you may not know until the moment comes for you to call the shots. That is when you will realise that thinking it and doing it are completely different ball games.

Ask those who took premature positions of responsibility, especially through ways that were contrary to the ordinary course of nature, simply because they thought they were ready for it. Trust me, sometimes it feels easier to watch over a herd of cows than to have a duty to deal with human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...