Thursday 18 February 2016

Decent young men...

Being a decent young man is not just how fly you appear, or how serial a dater you are. It is about character, and about your conformity to basic moral standards. Unfortunately in poor communities like mine, young men like that are often perceived as soft or effeminate, especially when they have very close bonds with their mothers. I don't know, but I believe this is why a lot of kids tend to be so intractable these days, because the common conviction is that boys shouldn't be guardedly bred like that.

I know this because many years ago, some of my peers used to poke fun at me; called me a host of feminine names, and said I was a momma's boy, all because I was just trying to be a good kid; helping my mom get groceries from the market, being of additional assistance in her small business, and helping out on house chores that were considered feminine. But tell you what! Look who's laughing now!?

So if you are a kid like that in a community like mine, or you are trying to maintain a behaviour as decorous like that, you will be called names like that. But don't stress, because someday and very soon, you will be the one laughing and asking all their girls out if you want to. But before then, I just want to let you know that I respect you, and that you represent the very best of what every mother will want to have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...