Wednesday 20 December 2017

Do we really have free speech?

Apparently, free speech has an unspoken rule in today’s civil society, not just on social media. Folks will allow you to speak freely as long as you agree with them, and you don’t dare withhold admiration. So, maintaining your good relations will oblige you to lose your objectivity sometimes – there’s almost zero room for differing views, no matter how informed your take is.

For my part, I say miss me with that mindless wagon already. If that makes me unreliable, all well and good, but if you’re just being difficult to deal with, ‘falow faata France!’ Now here’s some voluntary advice:

When people talk or are being quoted by people to you, and your feelings get hurt, it’s only fair to find out, get the facts straight, ask for context if need be, but don’t jump and judge intent. Learn to get rid of that ‘I will side with whatever the heck you say unless it is about me’ kinda attitude - it evinces straight up narcissism. And to rise above it, be empty of prejudice when you listen, and let not your pride kill your rapport with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...