Friday 17 March 2017

The politricks still....

An ex called to find out if I still have a certain “ndomba” that she had me save on my phone.”  Displeased by her pronunciation, I scornfully replied: you mean “number?” She was like: “whatever,” and then we quarreled. I reflected and realised that she had ever been terrible at pronunciations, and it was okay at the time, but like they say, the eye of love doesn’t see flaws - it is blind. So I accepted that I was at fault, and my reaction was just a disgruntled ex syndrome.

The reason why I’m bringing this up is because it’s the same difference with what’s being revealed in our political discussions. November 2016 through the “impasse,” every member of the opposition coalition was a hero: “let’s do this for Solo, Darboe, and co.” “Keep calm and listen to Halifa.” “Barrow will make a good leader, because he’s well-mannered.” “Mai Fatty is articulate… and he’s thioffeh.” “OJ is gracious.” “Gomez is bae.” “Amat has beaten the incumbent to his game.” The lady members were all branded as women of substance – this was the trend of thoughts.

Today, speak ill of mine and I’ll vilify yours regardless, that’s what’s going on. If you ask me, it says more about us than about the elected officials under discussion, and perhaps anchored in three: our approvals were purpose-specific and not as heartfelt, we are a fickle public, or we feel snuffed out when events aren’t advancing our expectations. I don’t know, but the blinking emotions of adoration one second and revulsion the next is not pointing far. The danger is: it’s gonna be a hell of a ride because we aren’t ready to get over that sickening feeling in the pits of our stomachs.

For the record, I’m not saying we shouldn’t hold our elected officials accountable, because that’ll defeat the purpose of the democracy that we all voted for. But remember, that same democracy demands that even if they be knaves to you, or are seen to be chosen by a foolish majority, the fact that they represent the will of the people, they should be afforded the courtesy they deserve – that’s only fair. I thought I should say that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...