Thursday 2 March 2017

Retire when everyone likes your thing...

I don't know, I guess 2012, I was Dunk Champion. I went to the stadium the following day, with my swagger and all - then Yusupha AKA "Yankee 66" came from foreign, his calves and physique overwhelmingly evident that he was playing ball all the time. And folks said I should take him on freestyle, like: "hai MJ bul ragal. You're still the champ. We just want y'all to entertain the crowd." I said: "No, go play music fi di crowd, they'll be entertained. Mahn ken du hejemal suma victoire." (Ain't nobody's gonna soil my victory).

In fact, that was the day I retired. Today, even though there are kids doing amazing things at the hoop, my cred as one of the best is still intact. That's what's up! The best time to retire is when everyone likes your thing... wait, another thing: there's real talent and there's fluke, and knowing the difference matters because if yours is but a onetime wonder, and you're already propelled to fame by it, claiming knack or inflating the ego like you got all that in you can be dangerous - you may not be as fortunate when caused to repeat it. Ask sincere career-flops, they'll confirm this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...