Tuesday 6 January 2015

Adulthood

There was a time when I was a sneakerhead, so excited about every hyped up basketball shoe - Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Converse, AND 1, etc. I could wear sneakers for like six days out of seven and to every occasion. Now it is almost a month since I got this new Nike Hyperfuse from my boy that I can't seem to be able to wear yet.

I don't know, but giving it some thought, I guess that’s how you know growing up is creeping up. I am not saying being a sneakerhead is immaturity; I am only trying to illustrate how certain things in life are just but a phase, that at some point, certain one-time chapters of your lifestyle will need to be flipped in order break off from being kid at your prime of life. Being addicted to folly and completely empty of the guts to mature is unaffordable.

At some point in life, it should be about dream chasing, knowing better, character over sentiments, taking responsibility and showing an unprejudiced and selfless concern for the well-being of others around you. Be nice but not overly servile. Overstand the fact that not everything is as good or as bad as it seems. It’s about working on your self-belief but with humility, and about being a spark of inspiration to others, young ones particularly.

Now I can hear my spirit telling me, “Oh, boy! What do you know? You still have a lot to work on.” Ha! I guess I need to become more adult.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...