Wednesday 26 April 2017

Our trade reforms...

Perhaps I'm being shortsighted for my own consumer interest, but honestly, I think the Government's loosening of some import restrictions is a wise thing, of course hoping that the quality of imported stuff wouldn't be comprised. In fact, I think the restrictions should remain lifted until local start-ups and industries are able to have the scale required to meet national demand, and to compete effectively. According to me, economic planning without regard for an already impoverished consumer is a sin.

Let me put it another way: I'm not an economist and not pretending to be one - and so not au fait with the jargons, the mathematics, theories, models and all. However, one thing I can confirm based on observation is that here, causing disincentives to imports have but just been good for businesses only, and the complacency more like leveraging the average consumer for the profit of a few unenterprising entrepreneurs.

Look at the controls on onions and flour for instance. During the embargo on these imports, some families altered their menus against their will, hardly ever cooking almost everyone's favourite Yassa - you know, personal budgetary jihad and all, because onions that are produced ayard have become luxuries, and the price for regular bread rose from three, to five, and to seven Dalasis in a very short span.

So speaking for myself, and as a consumer that is, if domestic produce/products are gonna remain as high-priced, on the argument that materials and packages are imported still; if they're gonna be as non-improving, as bare-minimum, and as insufficient to purpose, since the hotel industry's the primary target of many a local producer, I say give us choices or allow the consequential smuggling along the borders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...