Saturday 30 September 2017

New Gambia, still...

Gambia - coming on social media to cast aspersions, just for the heck of controversy, and perhaps because it’s how you see it happen elsewhere is neither "building" an enviable "New Gambia," nor is it keeping The Gambia Gambian.

I have said this before and I will reiterate: some tendencies, beliefs, norms, attitudes and behaviours are people and geography specific. And really, the level of disrespect, pseudo-intellectualism, gutsy lampooning and trash talking on here lately is so NOT us.

Maybe some are too young to remember how it was before July '94, maybe too forgetful or too unwilling to appreciate how ours was generally a politics of wits, of tolerance and mutual jokes, known by the Wolofs as 'Kalantu' and 'Sanawuyaa' in Mandinka. Or maybe like NAWEC, we need prayers - some serious soul searching. Maybe I'm too old school or too "hypocritical," but I thought I should say this... suma yown si golo bussi pudaroo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...