Tuesday 12 September 2017

Gratitude, like common sense, is not so common...

Where I come from, we call it ‘yaroo ndik yorror’ – the obedience of someone who is because he or she cannot be anything but meekly obedient. I mean those who when in need of you, pretend modesty, being as soft as the foreskin (derri dambal).

Push them to break out of their need; facilitate their climb up the ladder, support them to obtain a new identity and you’ll become their first if not their biggest nemesis. This is why I think they Kenyan proverb is unfair; it’s not only the donkey that says thank you with a kick. Humans do it all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...