Thursday 21 September 2017

Grassroots my foot... pay my friend, pay!

I thought my sporting days were the suckiest until I heard the account of two former national sprinters. I was like, man, thank God for Plan B.

Well, how can we thrive in athletics when St. Augustine High School's "inter-school" team is more equipped and motivated than the National Team where an athlete is supplied with one oversized singlet all season long? And you wonder why these kids run off the slightest chance they have? At executive level, the clichéd diagnosis is: "we need to go back to the grassroots."

Grassroots? Mtcheew! If you want to develop a sport, you make it attractive, be ingenious about it, raise money to pay money, because the career span is too short. That's what Senegal did to promote the growth of their national sports. See their wrestling league today; no one tells those boys to go to the beach or hit gym, they already know what they're striving towards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...