Monday 4 July 2016

Ramadan....

So, the Prophet and his Companions used to be heartbroken that Ramadan is ending? Well, unlike the way that story is translated in some circles, I don't think it is the hunger and thirst that they used to grieve over; none can ever be friends with those two. In my opinion, their sadness was due to the stoppage of the extra reward that Ramadan gives as premium for endurance.

The analogy that comes to mind is like the contrast between shopping on a normal day and during the sales period that involves heavy price reductions. We tend to look forward to the latter not because we love the inconvenience of the commotion therein, but because it affords us the opportunity to buy more of what we need for less.

So, unlike the aspiring martyrs on here, I am not gonna sit here acting all garaw that Ramadan is easy, because if I had it my way, the moon would've been sighted already. Olof Njie neh ken du tuday hiff dorm. All the same, I am grateful for the gift of life to witness and observe this year's Ramadan, and I pray that God will accept all our good deeds and help us carry the newfound spirit into the other eleven months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...