Sunday 31 July 2016

Will....

How you make your bed is how you'll have to lie in it. So before acting all pious and holding God to account for everything, check if your condition is in fact not a consequence of the decisions you made in the past. And don't twist my point. I know it is an article of our faith to believe in fate, predestination, and of God having foreknowledge of our destiny. But before we blame everything on Him, let us not forget that He gave us free will to choose our actions, and to regulate them with reason.

Once I was told I couldn't be shortlisted for a job I thought I had the competence to handle, because I only have a high school diploma, and ours is a degree-diseased society. But I will be ungrateful to place that blame on God, because the decision to stop at high school and to become an autoditact was entirely mine. God only respected and permitted my decision. So His is an ultimate control over the outcome, and not necessarily the director of the cause.

We need to understand the difference between God's "Directive Will" (ndogal) and "Permissive Will" (anda). Like, when it comes to the natural world and the events in the physical universe (force of gravity, rain, etc.) God "directs" those. But as for our actions and inactions, and the consequences thereof, He only "permits." This is why He didn't stop at saying "believe," but "believe and do good works." So logically, it is safe to say that what you do today will more than likely be the agent by which your future is shaped. I hope I am making sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...