Friday 14 September 2018

Are we cursed?

I saw it shared on here that out of 153 countries, Forbes graded the Gambia as the 152nd best; that’s like second worst country for business, and I find that dreadful. And because invariably, we hear officials and investment agencies say that ‘things are getting better.' So, I assume we were either the worst and now second to worst, which is a plus although pathetic, or there’s sham somewhere.

But for a nation where political disagreements frustrate restructuring, where pride gets in the way of innovation, where taxes never drop, where some employers are unethical or narcissistic and their workforce so grasping, where infrastructure is in a rut, technology below par, where "capacity building" yields a near-negative capacity utilisation rate, where corruption is a sign of ambition, where quality of life is pitiable, and where red tape is on the rise because some irrelevant people want to remain relevant, I don’t think Forbes is lying.

As I was composing this piece, some grown man left the many bathrooms in their house, went around the edge of the fence, took out his PVC pipe and started to pee, you know, as if: 'pree mi bredda, mi nah give a damn, caah Gyambiya nah ready fi prime time yet!" 

I see people blaming the Government and the Government blaming attitudes. I see our national conversation taking a turn to frivolousness, tetchiness, impertinent chattings, rash censures, and spiteful tribalistic sentiments. I see MDI dying because our intellectual community prefers GIMPA.

Well, thanks to the clusterfuck, I think I've found my Plan E: do my own thing, revive my rabaraba, go to Ginack and start a shop or some weed farm, or start a private strip joint, just whatever! No partnership, no going public, no merger, just me, because collectively, and as much as I hate to say it, this country doesn't inspire hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...