Tuesday 9 January 2018

Dignity, 'Foroyaa' or 'N’gor'...

We all have things we wish hadn't happened. We just don’t notice it in some people because even if they worry, they don’t wear their worries. They stay positive even though shit’s really bad. They’re so resilient they wouldn’t swallow their dignity to get above the 'food chain,' or say to some person in a position of authority: "YO, I saw God in Barra this morning and He said hi. He said you’re awesome."

Nah, the people I’m talking about, they wouldn’t do that. They accept change and they adapt to new realities as they come. So, to me, what they have or don’t have doesn’t matter. Who they’re and what they symbolise, that’s what matters - and that’s their sense of worth and integrity. Mankinka’s call it 'Foroyaa' or 'N’gor' in Wolof. Being them may not be as fashionable, but eventually, it’s comfortable, ultra-cool I should say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...