Tuesday 1 August 2017

I think it's a measure of intelligence...

"English is a language not a measure of intelligence." Hmm? In my opinion, this notion is debatable, but it's the claim, and it's often quoted as a back answer to grammar Nazis. However, even if I want to give it that benefit of the doubt, I sometimes see it as a deliberate downplay of someone else's skills and it's unfair; it makes me angry.

For my part, someone who was schooled in English and is able to hold an intelligent conversation in English, fluently translating his thoughts into words is intelligent. Stupid is the one who went to English school to study English proficiency but comes out with English deficiency, and I have seen it happen; I'll name names if I have to. In fact, if I'm lying then examinations also do not reflect intelligence, at least not accurately.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...