Saturday 13 August 2016

So, I phoned in...

These two AfriRadio presenters wanted to know the difference between an artist(e) and a musician. The number to call was 1076. One called, and after establishing the referents of the terms said we unfortunately don't have any round here.

I usually just listen to radio and mind my business, but I believe that was a very courageous mistake. So for the first and probably the last time ever, I phoned in, and this was my take:

Artist is one who creates art as an occupation or hobby, and any form of art for that matter. The musician is one who is into the art of music - from composer, to the one who sings and those who play the instruments. Artiste with an "e" is a public performer, especially of a song or dance.

So you can deny our dexterity, and even our qualification to perform all you want, but you cannot say we don't have any. I am using the adjective "our" because I am an artist, skilled at absolutely nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...