Sunday 30 July 2017

I remember when 'ngunu-ngunu' used to be so rife round here, when the only way that some of us knew to give vent to our political grievances was by not giving vent to it at all, or at best in parables. I remember how I admired those folks in the "Struggle," especially those ladies whose online programmes I religiously followed because they spoke for me, though from beyond boarders.

I remember how listening to sister MamaLinguere's take on the "Fass standoff" got me so pissed at myself and by what seemed the emasculation of the average Gambian young man, and to my friend I taunted: bwoi, with the way shit's going, when freedom's attained and these ladies come back, it'll behoove some of us (men) to ohdu malan (wear wrappers) and go give them the heroes' welcome that they deserve - y'know, go to the airport to 'tachu' for them like: 'la e lay la lah, jiguen yu meun gorr yi nyow nanj.'

I'm glad that's history now. But on a serious note, the point I'm trying to make is that you can only say you weren't, because I know people who have never been a part of the "mumu" crew, who have been speaking up when speaking up wasn't as easy, and when speaking truth to power wasn't as popular. So today, speaking up is perhaps mass-produced and somewhat tautological, but it's not a new product. It's just that... well, rookies will always overdo, but that's alright!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...