Friday 18 April 2014

Civil Society Nonsense

So on my break, I refreshed my facebook browser and saw “Unique Solutions Co. Ltd & RLG training centre launched at Basse, to provide training for mobile phone repairs to young Gambians up country”, and I overstand they have also erected 10 sample kiosks that will be used to provide jobs for those to be trained”…. Brilliant Uniqueness!

Okay! A lil later, I went for my usual lunch walk; ‘Delicious Restaurant’ is the place baby  and happened upon what seemed to be a company in performance, drumming, clapping and chanting, apparently marketing something; ‘road-show’ to be exact.

But who cares? As a matter of fact, I have nothing against their cheerfulness, but since I’m entitled to my opinion and seeing that their style is the same piece of 'thing' with even some of our so-called civil society campaigns, I can’t but ask; ‘What is their true public significance’

I am confused! I don’t know how can a set of people wearing straight fit jeans and T-Shirts displaying some slogan help in fighting some social ill, or create awareness about something.

Let us be reasonable here; how can drumming and dancing rehabilitate junkies or help some impoverished child begging along Kairaba Avenue to go back to school; how can it help stop the occurrence of rape, stigmatisation, and the rest?

How? If all what they do is hire a means of transportation, load it with loud music, parading our streets and expressing carefree amusement, chuckling and giggling and cackling with each other? Can’t we do it differently, since the old traditions do not seem to bring any newness into being? #JustAsking

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...