Thursday 30 August 2018

What SSHFC needs...

'Waxtaan' is a Wolof word meaning conversation, genuine dialogue, exchange, discussion, and so forth. 'Werranteh' is also Wolof, but meaning to argue, to have a spat, rhetorical bomb-throwing, to fall out, etc. I believe the origin of the latter is a portmanteau of 'wehrr' as in to expose and 'anteh' meaning each other... excuse my Wolof spellings.

I have heard some Wolof speakers say it is 'wediwanteh,' but I guess it’s all the same thing, just that this one will mean to go against, to contradict, or to oppose each other.

So, relatively, 'waxtaan' is what SSHFC needs, and that's what the parties are not doing. It's a more tactful approach to solving problems, or talking sense into others, especially when they’re doing something that you don't believe is right, and particularly when therein are those who have chapters in their book they'd rather not read out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...