Wednesday 11 October 2017

The Gambia and the concept of education...

When the dictionary defines ‘education’ as an enlightening experience, or the facilitation of the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values, beliefs, and habits, the ‘school, college or university’ is used to exemplify source or access, but it’s preceded by the adverb “especially” – meaning: for the most part.

Now, does this definition preclude the fact that it’s an education to watch a good workman work? Would I be wrong to say that Jatto Ceesay is educated in the art of football, or some unlettered Sarahuleh entrepreneur in the art of moneymaking, et cetera? That’s what I thought.

Benjamin Franklin is credited with this saying: “Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” if you ask me why, I'll say because there are people who learn best by doing.

Well, it’s just unfortunate that here, not all educated minds have educated hearts, and it takes both to be really educated. Here, hearts are so resentful that it hurts some academic supremacists to see differently-educated people doing extremely well without a college attendance certificate.

I hate to say this, and it’s me being optimistic. Before our hearts are as educated to appreciate hard skills just as we do abstract learning, and to differentiate between idealised capacity (competence) and performance, swear down the rest of humanity would finally be living on planet Mars, and we’ll be here wretched, lonely, “Building The New Gambia” or trying to overstand the concept of democracy, NAWEC doing what it does best, because the “qualified” engineers cannot engineer ‘furrno-kerign’ let alone generate electricity - talk about behind the times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...