Saturday 5 September 2020

The Paradox of Tolerance

Society cannot be tolerant without limit, says the paradox of tolerance... that "in order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." 

Way to go, I guess... only that I don't know how practical it is, or whose place it is to set the limit, because the way I see it, today, tolerance or otherwise, like perfection and beauty, is in the eye of the beholder, and that's why everyone sees their genre (of intolerance) as tolerable.

An example is how we give free speech a free rein only when people we characterise as bigots question the permissiveness of what they deem obscene, but not when those who consider themselves tolerant censor what they deem offensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...