Thursday 8 December 2016

This is what prejudice does...

I read a story on funny.com about an 83 year old widowed pensioner who wrote a letter to God claiming that her purse was stolen with £100 in it - the only cash she had to manage until her next pension cheque. Christmas was coming and she had invited two of her friends over for dinner. With no family to turn to, she had to resort to God for help.

The postman processing her mail found the address illegible. So he thought he should open it to see. Reading it, he was touched, and decided to show it to the other workers, asking them to dig into their wallets for the old lady. Together they raised £4 short of £100 (£96), enveloped it and sent it to the woman.

A few days after Christmas, a letter of appreciation came from the old lady to God. All the workers gathered around while the letter was opened, and it read:
“Dear God,

How can I ever thank you enough for what you did for me? Because of your gift of love, I was able to fix a glorious dinner for my friends. We had a very nice day and I told my friends of your wonderful gift. By the way, there was £4 missing. I think it must have been those thieving bastards at the Post Office.”

This was intended to be a joke but I found it deep. It is what prejudice does; it will cloud your judgment, prevent the discovery of truth, cause you to be ignorant, misguide you into error, and lead you to an involuntary lack of gratitude like it did the old woman. Because of her predisposition about postal staff, she thought she was emptying out the bathing tub, but she ended up throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You only get one life to live...

I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...