"English is a language not a measure of intelligence." Hmm? In my opinion, this notion is debatable, but it's the claim, and it's often quoted as a back answer to grammar Nazis. However, even if I want to give it that benefit of the doubt, I sometimes see it as a deliberate downplay of someone else's skills and it's unfair; it makes me angry.
For my part, someone who was schooled in English and is able to hold an intelligent conversation in English, fluently translating his thoughts into words is intelligent. Stupid is the one who went to English school to study English proficiency but comes out with English deficiency, and I have seen it happen; I'll name names if I have to. In fact, if I'm lying then examinations also do not reflect intelligence, at least not accurately.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You only get one life to live...
I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...
-
You don’t want to be exposed to any possible failure, but you want an enterprise built in your name. You don’t want to think hard or do more...
-
So, I had this conversation with myself: 1. The President is in the position to name his Cabinet. Now what? 2. It is a coalition gover...
-
B. F. Skinner said: “At this very moment enormous numbers of intelligent men and women of goodwill are trying to build a better world. But p...
No comments:
Post a Comment