I have been fighting glossophobia my whole life and I couldn't graduate. So I prefer writing to talking. Do I admire people who are able to resist that crippling fear of putting themselves on a podium, yes. But I'm not ashamed that I still suck, and I'm not alone.
Someone said that "public speaking is the number one fear in America. Death is number two." So funny, yet so true. In fact, many a famous speechmaker throughout history was once terrified of public speaking, confessedly.
So I hate it when people ridicule others for their speech anxiety, or equating it to stupidity, and as if they themselves were born on a podium with silver microphones, when in fact their command of the art is but in the delivery of high sounding absolute nonsense.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You only get one life to live...
I’m sure some of you’ll remember my bashing of those kids who fervently trust that “you only live once” (YOLO), mostly to feed their desire ...
-
You don’t want to be exposed to any possible failure, but you want an enterprise built in your name. You don’t want to think hard or do more...
-
So, I had this conversation with myself: 1. The President is in the position to name his Cabinet. Now what? 2. It is a coalition gover...
-
B. F. Skinner said: “At this very moment enormous numbers of intelligent men and women of goodwill are trying to build a better world. But p...
No comments:
Post a Comment